The “Bellatrix” upgrade ahead of the Ethereum merger will activate on Sept. 6, followed by the Ethereum mainnet merge between Sept.10-20, according to a blog published on Thursday by the Ethereum Foundation.
See related article:
- The blog said the Ethereum mainnet merge will happen in two steps, the “Bellatrix” and “Paris” upgrades. The Bellatrix upgrade brings Ethereum’s consensus layer – the Beacon Chain that introduces the PoS mechanism to Ethereum – into a state ready to merge.
- The Bellatrix upgrade will occur at epoch 144896, which means a real-world time of 11:34:47 UTC on Sept. 6. Epoch is the time unit that is used on Ethereum.
- The Paris upgrade will come after the Bellatrix upgrade, which will switch the Ethereum network from PoW to PoS.
- The Paris upgrade will be triggered when the “Total Terminal Difficulty” (TTD) reaches 58,750,000,000,000,000,000,000. TTD is a threshold difficulty of the final block mined in Ethereum before the merge; after TTD is achieved or exceeded, the next block will be produced by PoS.
- TTD achievement is expected between Sept.10-20. The first mainnet block produced under the PoS mechanism will occur approximately 13 minutes after the Paris upgrade.
See related article: Chandler Guo tells why he is the man who would hard fork Ethereum