11 January, 2023 | Amish Mahajan
NewsX, in partnership with Sunday Guardian Foundation, organized the third episode of ‘Capital Dialogue.’ Capital dialogue is a special televised series to take a deep dive into governa…
NewsX, in partnership with Sunday Guardian Foundation, organized the third episode of ‘Capital Dialogue.’ Capital dialogue is a special televised series to take a deep dive into governance, dedicated to the founding of India’s new parliament building, which is scheduled to be inaugurated soon. The theme for today’s dialogue was building highways and the future of India’s safer and high-tech roads.
In the third episode, Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari talked about the transformation of India’s infrastructure with an ambitious target of building 60 km of highways per day.
Speaking at the event, Nitin Gadkari said, “Bengaluru-Mysuru highway is important to increase the tourism in the state. This new highway will reduce the travel time to 1 hour”. He further said, “the Chennai-Bangaluru Highway, whose 65-70% work is completed, will reduce the time travel by 2 hours”. “We are confident that by the February end, the Bengaluru-Mysuru highway will be completed, and we’ve asked Prime Minister to give us his time to inaugurate the highway. Also, by April end, we’ll inaugurate the Chennai-Mysuru highway”, Gadkari added.
Talking about the Nagpur Nagpur Double Decker road, Nitin Gadkari said, “it’s the longest double-decker road, and for that, we also got a Guinness Book of World Record certificate”. In terms of International standards, we are equally competent, and at the same time, our construction cost is less. In fact, in many projects, our construction material is much better.
Regarding the stubble-burning problem, Nitin Gadkari said, “we’ve received a new technology from CSIR for making Bio-bitumen from the stubble. Of the total stubble, 70% is used to make bio-bitumen, and the rest 30% is used to manufacture biochar – an organic carbon essential for agriculture”.
“In 2013, The Land Acquisition Act was passed, and now we are giving such attractive prices to the people that they want us to purchase their lands. We are working on a scheme under which we will develop logistic parks and smart cities on the roadsides, and we will involve the farmers in such projects by giving them equity. Under the scheme, the Government will take 40% of the land while 60% will remain with the farmer, and we’ll develop the ground and sell it, from which the farmers will benefit.
Nitin Gadkari reiterated wherever there is road construction, there is development. “Prosperity comes from roads without them, we cannot get capital or industry. With roads, we can generate employment. Roads are crucial to alleviating poverty”.
Speaking of Toll Plazas, Nitin Gadkari said, “with the introduction of Fast tags, the toll income has increased by 7000 crores. Also, in the coming three months, we will be starting the satellite-based number plates, with the help of which the toll taxes will be deducted from the bank’s account, and there will be no need for toll plazas.
Nitin Gadkari also talked about the Joshimath Subsidence. “Joshimath crisis is a geological, not infrastructural, issue. Roads and development projects have no connection to Joshimath. Connecting the Char Dham project to Joshimath is not right. Indian Government is concerned regarding the people of Joshimath, and proper efforts will be put forth for them”.
The Sunday Guardian Foundation has also instituted the building India felicitation. This felicitation is designed to recognize cross-sector excellence from team India contributing to building a better India. Union Minister Nitin Gadkari felicitated the eight recipients.
Among the recipients were Abhijeet Sinha, Anuj Wahi, Shashank Dhananjay Rawale, Dr Vinay Prakash Tiwari, Abhishek Bhandari, Ajeet Joshi and Dr Bipin Sule.