15 January, 2023 | Asawari Jindal
As a result of being criticised globally for gatekeeping their coronavirus data, China on Saturday, finally reported nearly 60,000 COVID-19 related deaths since it abandoned it’s zero-covid policy …
As a result of being criticised globally for gatekeeping their coronavirus data, China on Saturday, finally reported nearly 60,000 COVID-19 related deaths since it abandoned it’s zero-covid policy last month.
Jiao Yahui, the head of the Bureau of Medical Administration under the National Health Commission (NHC), briefed the media stating that the number of deaths between December 8 to January 12 culminated to a total of 59,9378. Of the deceased, over 5,000 passed away due to respiratory failure, while the majority were suffering from the virus along with other diseases, with over 90% of the deceased being 65 and older.
China had previously reported just over 5,000 deaths since the pandemic began, one of the lowest death rates in the world. Authorities were claiming five or fewer deaths a day over the past month, however, figures that did not match up to the long queues seen at funeral homes and neither did the visuals of body bags seen leaving the jam packed hospitals.
China, which last reported it’s daily coronavirus death figures on Monday, has reportedly defended the data on the disease as credible information.
The WHO said its Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreysus had spoken with Director of China’s National Health Commission Ma Xiaowei about the latest outbreak, which the UN agency said was similar to what had seen in other countries.
Concerns over data transparency was a very pertinent reason for dozens of countries across the globe to demand pre-departure COVID-19 tests from Chinese traveller.
Beijing, however, has objected to the curbs. Meanwhile, international health experts have predicted at least 1 million COVID-related death in the year.