31 January, 2023 | Pragati Singh
India expressed condolences to the families of those killed in Monday’s tragic terror assault in Peshawar, Pakistan.
India expressed condolences to the families of those killed in Monday’s tragic terror assault in Peshawar, Pakistan. So far, the death toll stands at 90, with over 100 people injured, according to Geo News, citing Radio Pakistan. MEA Spokesperson Arindam Bagchi posted on Twitter,”India extends its deep condolences to the families of the victims of the terror attack in Peshawar yesterday. We strongly condemn this attack, which has taken the lives of so many people.”
The explosion occurred on Monday about 1 p.m. in the mosque’s central hall when a suicide bomber blew himself up. According to Geo News, quoting an official, a rescue operation is underway to recover bodies from the mosque’s debris.
According to security officials, the suicide attacker blew himself up in the front row during the prayers. The incident was claimed by the proscribed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP). Capital City Police Officer (CCPO) Peshawar Mohammad Aijaz Khan told Geo News that the explosion looks to be a suicide attack, adding that the suspected bomber’s head was also discovered at the scene.
“It is possible that the attacker was already present in the Police Lines before the blast and that he may have used an official vehicle [to enter],” Mohammad Aijaz Khan told Geo News.
“About 1,500 to 2,000 police officers visit the Police Lines daily,” he added.
An eyewitness had stated that at least 120 individuals were present at the mosque when the explosion occurred. He stated that the majority of those injured were police officers.
According to a Geo News report, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Caretaker Chief Minister Muhammad Azam Khan declared a day of mourning in the province on Tuesday following the attack. He stated that the province’s national flag will be flown at half-mast.