In the seven months since Global News first reported on allegations of high-level sexual misconduct in the Canadian military, multiple other victims and survivors have come forward to share their stories and demand change.
Experts have described the reckoning facing the military as an institutional crisis and it has sparked a national conversation about the culture and values of the Canadian Forces, exposing longstanding problems in how the military handles sexual misconduct cases and treats women within its ranks.
There have been multiple military police investigations and two parliamentary probes launched into the matter, as well as an independent, external review led by former Supreme Court of Canada justice Louise Arbour, which remains underway.
Here is everything you need to know to understand what has happened so far.
Jan. 14, 2021: Adm. Art McDonald takes over as chief of the defence staff from Gen. Jonathan Vance. McDonald emphasizes the need to fight sexual misconduct and apologizes for past actions, though gave no details at the time of what this was about.
Feb. 2, 2021: Global News reports Vance is facing allegations of inappropriate behaviour from two female subordinates. He denies any inappropriate behaviour.
Feb. 3, 2021: McDonald sends an internal message to military staff vowing there will be an investigation into the allegations reported by Global News.
Feb. 4, 2021: Military police announce they are opening an investigation into the Vance allegations. Global News also reports that Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan’s office knew of an allegation against Vance in March 2018.
Feb. 5, 2021: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his office knew nothing about the allegations until they were reported on by Global News.
Feb. 9, 2021: Members of the House of Commons defence committee vote to open a study into the allegations and into military sexual misconduct more broadly.
Feb. 11, 2021: Global News reports that military police probed Vance’s conduct in 2015 related to allegations about his time in Naples but laid no charges.
Feb. 21, 2021: Maj. Kellie Brennan gives her first interview with Global News sharing her story as one of the women at the heart of the Vance allegations.
Feb. 25, 2021: McDonald steps aside as chief of the defence staff as military police open a probe into an allegation against him. Lt.-Gen. Wayne Eyre steps in on an acting basis. Experts tell Global News the military is now facing a “crisis.”
Feb. 26, 2021: Sajjan’s office says he was unaware of an allegation against McDonald prior to his appointment as chief of the defence staff.
Feb. 28, 2021: Brennan says she has been flooded with support since coming forward and urges women to “roar and be heard.”
March 3, 2021: Former military ombudsman Gary Walbourne testifies before the defence committee that he brought an allegation against Vance to Sajjan in March 2018 and tries to show Sajjan evidence, but the minister refuses to look.
March 6, 2021: Global News reports on records that reveal the Privy Council Office was warned to “put some things in writing” regarding the allegation against Vance in 2018.
March 7, 2021: Global News reports that a senior naval officer, Lt.-Col. Raymond Trotter, who tried to report an allegation shared with him by a female subordinate against McDonald to Sajjan’s office was told to go elsewhere, and has received threats since reporting the allegation.
March 8, 2021: The House of Commons defence committee expands its probe on military sexual misconduct.
March 10, 2021: Trudeau says his office did know in 2018 that Sajjan’s office had passed an allegation against Vance to the Privy Council Office, which abandoned a probe. He says his office and he only learned the details from Global News reporting.
March 12, 2021:…